Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Good Morning Breakfast: Cornbread muffins (recipe included)

 
Who loves corn? (raising my hand)  Admit it (you, yes you who is reading this). We all love corn. Me, I like it boiled or "Nilaga" as we Pinoy call it. I remember mommy buying the uncooked corn the boils it in a very large pot when I was still young. Funny coz there was a time I was so so excited to eat it that it was not completely cooked yet. ha ha ha.



One time I had some corn left and was so bored eating Nilagang Mais (boiled corn). My husband is not fond of eating corn so I was searching in the world wide web, looking for some recipe where I can put use of the leftover boiled corn. 

I stumble in Pinterest and saw this delish Cornbread recipe. This recipe is actually for a loaf but I just turned it to a muffin. No need slicing as my husband and I are too lazy doing that. lols.

Here is a step by step recipe of the Cornbread Muffin that I made.


Cornbread Muffin

Ingredients:

1     cup/can         Whole Corn Kernel or Shredded Corn
3/4  cup                White or Brown sugar
1/2  cup                Unsalted Butter, softened in room temperature
2  large                 Eggs, room temperature
1/2  cup                Milk, (evap milk or full cream milk)
3/4  cup                Yellow Corn meal
1/2  tsp                 Baking Powder
1/2  tsp                 Salt
1 1/2 cup              All Purpose flour

All the ingredients I used

Procedure
  1. Preheat Oven 200 degree Celsius and Grease muffin pans or line it with cupcake liner.
  2. Combine and sift all dry ingredients (All purpose flour, baking powder, salt and corn meal).
  3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the eggs and Milk. Mix until well combined.
  5. Gradually add the dry ingredients while mixing.
  6. Add the drained corn kernel or shredded corn and mix well until there are no more lumps in the batter.
  7. Pour the batter mixture onto the muffin pan. Do not fill it up to the rim. Leave some space for the muffin to expand. 
  8. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until muffins are done. To check, insert a skewer or a toothpick in the middle of the muffin. If the toothpick comes out clean then it's done. If there are some sticking in the toothpick put it back to the oven and bake for a few minute.
  9. Let cool and then serve.


Made this a few times already and my hubby loved it. He paired it with his creamy hot coffee for breakfast. I usually eat this for my afternoon snack.

I could not find cornmeal at that time so I made mine using grater/food processor/blender. It was not that fine though, a little bit grainy but it still turned okay.

Next time I'll make this I'll buy the cornmeal that is sold in the baking shop just near our place since it is finer than that I've made (the bakeshop wasn't open/not in operation yet when I made my first Cornbread muffin so I have to make my own).

Do you have some suggestions on how to make this or do you have anything to share about this recipe? I entertain comments and suggestions, just leave it down in the box.

Hope you also try this recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment