Planning to make burrito but do not have Tortillas on hand? Feeling lazy to go to the supermarket to buy some? Why not make your own? Want to know how? Here is a simple way to make homemade tortillas in just 30 minutes.
|Homemade Tortilla and Tortilla chips|
Ok before anything else let me differentiate Tortilla from Pita. We all know that they are both bread but one is thinner and the other is thicker. Tortilla is a thin flat bread and pan grilled. So you put filling in the middle and then wrap it. It is usually used in Burrito, Quesadillas and Tortilla chips. Pita, on the other hand, is a thick flat bread which is also pan grilled. When the pita bread is heated it rises and becomes hollow on the inside. So, you can cut it into half and stuff it with whatever filling you want.
With out further ado here is the recipe of my Homemade Tortilla.
The ingredients are the following:
1 cup of All purpose flour
3/4 cup of Corn meal (if not available just replace it with flour)
1/2 cup of Warm Water
1/4 cup of Shortening or butter
3/4 tsp of Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Powder (not baking soda)
And here is the procedure:
- In a bowl mix all purpose flour, corn meal, salt and baking powder.
- Add the shortening or butter into the flour. Cut in the shortening using a pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly. If you don't have pastry cutter you may use your hand. Using your fingers, mash up the shortening or butter into the flour. Mash it until the mixture is crumbly or the flour mixture forms like a peas.
- Now add the warm water and mix using your hand or a fork. Knead until the dough does not stick to the bowl. If the dough still sticks to the bowl, sprinkle a bit of flour on it. Knead for 5 minutes then cover with cloth or cling wrap and set aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, cut the dough into 8 equal parts. Cover the dough so it won't get dry.
- Heat (use medium heat) a cast iron skillet or a flat non stick pan.
- Get one dough and flatten it using your tortilla press. You may use rolling pin if you don't have a tortilla press but be sure to roll it as thin as you can.
- Place the flattened dough in the skillet or pan. Cook it for about 1 minute on each side or until you see it puff and see some golden brown spots.
- Remove from heat and place in a plate. Cover the tortilla with cloth to make it soft and pliable. Repeat until you finish all 8 tortilla.
You can now make your own burrito or Quesadilla. If you want to make tortilla chips just cut into 8 slices (see picture above) and fry or bake it until it becomes crunchy.
I was craving for it so I made this Tortilla recipe. I was also able to make Cheese Quesadillas and some BBQ ground beef Quesadillas but was not able to get a picture of it because we (me and my husband) devoured everything that was on the table. We were hungry as hell. Ha.. Ha.. Ha..
And Here, you see, is a burrito with a twist. I will be sharing the recipe of this burrito on my next blog. So watch out for it!